Berkeley Horticultural Nursery
Gardens come in all shapes and sizes, and it is this variety that makes our work so fulfilling. You are in for a pleasant surprise when you visit us for the first time. Stroll through almost an entire city block filled with trees, shrubs, flowers, veggies, herbs, native plants and much, much more. Our staff is eager to advise you on any horticultural project whether you are a novice green-thumb or a master gardener. We stock a healthy mix of popular recent introductions and old-school favorites for CA gardeners. Come see what we have—from Abelia to Ziziphus!
Nevada County Fiber Arts Trunk Show
Always a fun event, beautiful homegrown & handmade items. Music, food, demos.
Weekend SpecialsView All
New ArrivalsView All
The secret to forcing bulbs is in knowing how much time they need to develop strong roots…
“I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.” —The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss For me it’s hard to imagine living in a place without trees nearby; somewhere to look out the window at their silhouettes, or to smell the earthy decay of their leaves. Yet for many people around the world, tree encounters may be increasingly rare. For centuries, deforestation has continued in vast portions of Asia, N. Africa, and South America. Development, greed, ignorance of the long-term implications, and a burgeoning human population still put forests at risk. We often take them… Read More »
In the lingo of finance, a hedge has nothing to do with greenery, at least not the greenery that can photosynthesize.… Read More »
Planting BULBS: bury them alive!
Although now may not be the best time to plant them, there are some very good reasons to tiptoe to the nursery tout de… Read More »
- Deep-water young trees to reduce leaf scorch.
- It’s harvest time. Share your bounty with friends, neighbors, coworkers.
- Visit farmer’s markets; make notes of varieties for next year’s edible garden.
- Make sure your garden is fire-safe. See us for recommendations.
- Withhold water from your Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) plants this month.
- Buy spring-blooming bulbs now. You can plant later if necessary.
- Give your potted plants a boost with Fish Emulsion.
- Our first 2016 calendars come this month!
- Plant Iceland Poppies now for a spectacular winter display.
- Sow your cover crop seeds as the weather cools down.
- Come see the new Japanese Maples before leaf-drop.
- Our first rain may come this month. Adjust your watering system accordingly.