9:00 to 5:30
- Herbs are in good supply for early planting. Groom or divide now.
- As perennials begin growing protect the new shoots from slugs and snails. Consider evening escargot hunts.
- Check your watering system for leaks. If automatic, set at low until our weather warms up.
- You'll still find an excellent selection of Camellias at the nursery.
- Start using your compost as surface mulch around shrubs and perennials.
- This is your first safe opportunity for planting Tomatoes here. Our selection peaks over the next
- Treat yourself to a new garden hat as the sun reaches higher in the sky.
- Prune deciduous flowering shrubs (Lilac, Flowering Quince, Forsythia) now, during or after bloom.
- Acid-loving plants like Camellias, Azaleas and Rhododendrons are in their growing season. Feed for growth.
- Allow Narcissus leaves to wither naturally after bloom. Tie back, but don't remove them until completely dried.